ENGYS is pleased to announce the new release of ELEMENTS 3.4.0, an open-source based CFD software suite for vehicle design applications produced by Streamline Solutions LLC. This release also includes new versions of the add-on modules ELEMENTS-Adjoint and ELEMENTS-Coupled.
ELEMENTS combines two simulation environments in one package: a dedicated virtual wind tunnel wizard for modelling external vehicle aerodynamics, and a general purpose CFD interface for solving other vehicle design applications (e.g. UHMT, HVAC, in-cabin flows, aeroacoustics, etc). The default methodology and best practices for external vehicle aerodynamics provided with this version of ELEMENTS have been widely tested and validated to conform to the latest regulations on alternative drag prediction methods proposed as part of the Worldwide harmonized Light vehicles Test Procedure (WLTP).
ELEMENTS 3.4.0 offers a wide range of extended capabilities and several refinements to remove known issues found in the previous release 3.3.2. Some of the new exciting features added in this version include:
- Mesh: New interactive histogram to display mesh quality metrics in the GUI.
- Mesh: Improved feature edge snapping with near-wall layers for low y+ scenarios.
- Mesh: Improved accuracy and reduced turnaround times for mesh optimisation during the layer addition stage.
- Aero: Improved Generalised Reference Frames (GRF) methodology for modelling wheels, including automatic or user-defined volume regions for tyre treads.
- Aero: Refactored ride height tool for improved usability and simplification of ride height adjustments in the GUI.
- Aero: Added support for geometry transformations (translate, rotate, scale) to the Aero Wizard configuration files.
- Aero: New configuration options for ELEMENTS-Coupled solvers, yaw analysis and sliding mesh interfaces.
- Setup: Added support for multi-component rigid body motion and thermal solvers for Generalised Internal Boundaries (GIBs).
- Setup: New boundary conditions, including a new synthetic turbulence generator based on the Turbulent Spot Method with Anisotropic Vorton (ATSM) and a new Delaunay triangulation method for time-varying point data at inlets.
- Setup: Added support for new k-ω based transition and SST curvature correction turbulence models.
- Setup: New and improved thermal comfort field outputs based on ISO7243 and ISO7730 standards.
- Solver: Added support for single-phase, compressible flows in the Unified Solver Framework (USF) via the GUI.
- Solver: Improved USF implementation for single-phase, compressible, buoyancy driven flows for better solution accuracy and stability.
- View: Upgraded graphic libraries in the GUI for better and faster local and remote image rendering.
- View: Improved GPU-based local rendering on client side to enhance remote client-server GUI connections.
- View: New export of display scenes and view objects to 3D formats such a X3D, PLY and VT.
- ELEMENTS-Adjoint: New enhanced symmetry of adjoint sensitivities around a user-defined plane.
- ELEMENTS-Adjoint: Improved convergence of adjoint sensitivities for topology optimisation.
- ELEMENTS-Coupled: New block-coupled adjoint implementation for massive speed up of sensitivity calculations w.r.t. standard adjoint solver segregated approach, including RANS and DES primal solutions.
To learn more about ELEMENTS, please visit our website or contact ENGYS to schedule a demonstration of the software and discover several success stories from automotive OEMs, tier-1 suppliers and motorsport teams who are already benefiting from using our products. You can also watch the ELEMENTS 3.4.0 Release Highlights Video for a more detailed description of the main features and enhancements introduced in this new version of the software.
About Streamline Solutions:
Streamline Solutions LLC, a joint venture formed between ENGYS and Auto Research Center, was founded in the USA in early 2012 to serve the vehicle design software market, covering automotive, motorsports, commercial and military applications. The company develops and promotes the software ELEMENTS, a CFD analysis and vehicle design optimisation suite powered by open-source technologies developed by ENGYS. Streamline Solutions combines ENGYS’ leading-edge software development and support, a long and reputable participation in the open-source software business, with ARC’s proven vehicle design expertise and world leading wind tunnel and experimental facilities for validation purposes.